It’s no secret that the Essiem team are Drupal enthusiasts. We love it. For us, it is the crème de la crème of content management systems and we have recommended it to countless clients who all agree that it gives them everything they want from a dynamic, high-functioning CMS. We have convinced them, and we believe this article will convince you too.
Here is our list of 8 reasons why Drupal is the ultimate CMS.
1) It’s free – If you are keen to keep the cost of your site development to a minimum this will appeal to you. There is no software license to pay for using Drupal, you can modify the software without charge and you get free access to future upgrades and security enhancements.
2) Great user interface – Whilst the Drupal ‘back-office’ is a complex and sophisticated database, the user interface is so good that even your average joe will feel confident updating their own pages. Each content type is displayed as an online form with additional fields such as text, images, checkboxes, links and files depending on what type of content you need to manage. This data can then be translated into multiple different styles on different pages, without you having to add the content in again.
3) It’s flexible – Drupal is completely flexible – anything you can imagine is possible with Drupal. If what you need isn’t already available from the huge library of existing resources then you can create your own modules for custom features, as well as your own themes for a custom design. This provides a powerful, scalable, low-cost high-value solution.
4) It’s secure – Drupal has an excellent track record in terms of security and has an organised process for investigating, verifying and publishing possible security problems. Drupal’s security team is constantly working with the community to address security issues as they arise and Drupal users benefit from regular notifications highlighting the latest security advisories of all types.
5) Trusted by major organisations – When President Obama came into office in 2009 a number of the US Government’s websites were switched to open-source software – Drupal. And governments aren’t the only major organisations who trust the Drupal platform, many of the most well known global brands including Nokia, Warner Brothers, MTV, General Electric and The Economist all recognise the power of open-source software and use Drupal to support their websites.
6) Amazing community – Drupal is a community made up of nearly 1 million users worldwide building beautiful themes and constantly pushing the boundaries of Drupal’s capabilities. Why should this matter to you? Because this active community always producing new variations on a theme means you can always find exactly what you need – a bespoke quality interface available to implement into your site which keeps development costs down.
7) It is SEO-friendly – Most companies rely on SEO as part of their marketing strategy and from this perspective Drupal does not disappoint. Drupal enables companies to come forward with SEO-friendly websites. It has enormous flexibility to display content in a way that search engines like.
8) Award-winning – Drupal boasts an impressive trophy cabinet of some of the top awards in the industry, including Best Free CMS from Critics Choice, Best Open Source CMS and a place in the Open Source CMS Hall of Fame. Drupal, we salute you!